With more than 70 heroes (or “espers”) to collect and choose from, Dislyte can feel daunting when you begin. And when you’re getting limited resources with which to grow those characters, you don’t want to be spending them on espers that simply don’t cut it.
Below we break down the 50 most important espers in Dislyte, both good and bad. We’ll explain what we mean within the tier descriptions, noting the good and bad qualities that determine an esper’s spot. View this tier-list as a guideline to put you on a strong path, rather than an exact science. Ultimately, you should play the game you want to play.
Updated August 29, 2022 by Chris Marling: Since its release in May 2022, Dislyte has enjoyed regular monthly updates that have introduced new content, including limited-time events and new Espers. More than ten four and five-star Espers have been released since launch, many of whom have already become favorites in high-end content. While balance and level changes to some old content and characters have seen the requirements and suitability change for others. We’ve changed many of the rankings for older Espers below, adding new ones we think you’ll want to add to your squads.
‘SS’ Tier Espers
The cream of the crop, these Espers are generally considered overpowered and are useful in almost every situation. If you get hold of them, start working on getting them into your squad straight away.
Clara: A strong healer, especially if you’re up against a foe strong on debuffs, who also increases AP for all allies – making her one of the most sought after Espers in the game. Her heals remove a debuff from allies and makes them act faster in turn order – while excess healing becomes a shield. So Clara works as a healer even if you’re at full strength, making her extra useful on defence in PvP. She was the first Esper to be nerfed (August 2022), but is still hugely powerful.
Unas: If you build a squad around speed, Unas is the ultimate starting point. Given the right relics and growth, so he acts first in battle, he will buff the AP of all allies. Done right, this will see your whole squad act before the enemy – and the victory will likely be yours.
Gabrielle: Gabrielle is available to everyone, as you don’t have to ‘spin’ for her. Instead, you can get her via Esper Fusion. Once you do, Gabrielle is a powerhouse, dealing strong damage while both buffing allies and debuffing enemies.
Lin Xiao: If you’re looking for DPS, check out Lin Xiao. Her “Tiger Roar” buff gives her 100 percent a crit rate for three turns – and better still it can’t be blocked. Her attacks also debuff enemies in multiple ways, making Lin Xiao the go-to damage dealer in almost every battle format of Dislyte.
Sally: Generally considered the strongest basic healer in Dislyte, Sally backs up her healing strength by dispelling negative effects from allies and reducing the strength of incoming attacks. As with Gabrielle, she gets a solid main role with a lot of support bolted on for good measure.
‘S’ Tier Espers
You get to put five Espers in your squad, and different challenges call for different combinations. But whatever the challenge, you’ll want some ‘S’ tier Espers in your squad if you can get them.
- Dhalia: Only available in the Ripple dimension. A great support Esper who’s main ability buffs AP, C.RATE, and ATK – while her two others target a single enemy and hammer them with effects such as Freeze and Stun.
- Li Ling: If you’re lucky, you may get Li Ling as your first legendary Esper early in the game. He is very much a blunt instrument, being able to deal massive DPS to both single and multiple targets. While his “Tai Chi” attack takes a percentage of the target’s health, making him very strong against bosses.
- Lucas: You get Lucas as a reward for completing level 100 of spatial Tower. His abilities are on slow timers, so it’s best to support him with Espers who can change that (such as Tiye). But when they do activate, you’ll be stunning and debuffing the entire enemy line-up.
- Sander: Sander is strong versus single opponents such as boss mobs, especially in teams built around speed. His damage builds over time, while hits can reduce a single enemy’s speed and AP.
- Ye Suhua: Only available from the Ripple Dimension. She can give an ally a strong heal backed by “recovery” and invincibility, making sure they stay alive. While she also has a buff that adds ATK and Def, making Ye Suhua one of the best support Espers in Dislyte.
- Alice: A support Esper that extends buff durations and grants C.RATE and SPD Up, alongside a passive that additionally applies ATK Up to buffed allies.
- Asenath: A strong healing Esper who gets faster as she goes via self AP buffs – meaning she heals more often. But timing is important, so she’s less effective on defence.
- Chloe: While her attacks land on random targets, Chloe is capable of massive damage. As she also steals buffs and gets increased damage from buffs on her, she’s a lot of fun.
- Lewis: If you want to do a lot of damage to a single target, Lewis is a strong contender for your squad. His crit rate and damage rise as the battle goes on.
- Narmer: Another powerful DPS Esper, especially versus enemies built around a strong DEF. Narmer is a strong nuker, as his Burning Sun ability builds up and partially ignores DEF.
- Ollie: A support Esper with SPD up as his captain ability, who can Taunt and Silence enemies while keeping teammates alive.
‘A’ Tier Espers
Many of these Espers specialize in specific play styles or are devastating in certain areas of Dislyte. They will usually be useful and are all are worth having on your roster as you grow in experience. These Espers can be game-changers in the right circumstances.
- Donar: Great DEF buffs. Slow, but a great addition to a defensive team.
- Fabrice: A good support Esper, giving buffs including immunity and recovery, plus ATK and AP up.
- Hyde: A complex Esper that builds damage potential via both buffs and debuffs.
- Long Mian: Weakens enemies with freeze, SPD down, and AP down. Strong in PvP (Point War).
- Raven: A very strong debuffer. Raven can dispel a lot of buffs from enemies, while also reducing their DEF to help get your damage through
- Ren Si: Decent damage dealer and hard to take down. Strong in PvP (Point War).
- Sienna: Can stun opponents, as well as support your squad with ATK, AP, and SPD ups.
- Tang Xuan: Potentially strong DPS if you don’t mind relying on luck. Attacks a single target.
- Tevor: Brutal DPS damage against enemies that don’t have Immunity or Cleanse capabilities.
- Tiye: As with Unas above, Tiye’s strength lies in AP manipulation. She can steal action points from opponents and give them to her squad, giving you the upper hand.
- Ahmed, Catherine, Celine, Heng Yu, Jiang Jiuli, Melanie, Nicole, Ophelia, Tang Yun, Unky Chai, Xiao Yin
‘B’ Tier Espers
You’re unlikely to regret putting some growth into these Espers, especially when you’re stuck without a lot of choices early in the game. Each is a solid squad member, especially through the storyline. While you’ll find others are even strong later in a specific situation, these are often the guys who will get you there.
- Biondina, Chang Pu, Drew, Eira, Freddy, Jiang Man, Laura, Lynn, Mona, Pritzker, Stewart, Triki, Zora
‘D’ Tier Espers
Generally speaking, unless you have a specific need, these Espers are not recommended. They’re generally considered broken (their abilities just don’t add up), or they’re just weak when compared to even average Espers.
- Alexa, Arcana, David, Helena, Kara, Layla, Leon
If you’ve looked through the above list and not found a particular Esper you picked up from an echo spin, they’re likely to be listed here. These characters are generally serviceable, but all have Espers that are stronger in their fields that should be relatively simple to acquire later. However, take note of a few that excel in certain circumstances (marked below):
- Anesidora, Aurelius, Bai Liulu, Bardon (good in PvP), Berenice (good vs Fafnir), Bonnie, Brynn, Cecilia, Chalmers (good vs Kronos and Apep), Djoser, Falken, Hall (good vs Fafnir), Jeanne, Jacob (good vs Apep), Jin Yuyao, Kaylee, Lauren, Lu Yi (good vs Fafnir), Luo Yan, Li Ao, Meredith, Q, Taylor, Xie Chuyi, Xie Yuzhi, Zelmer
NEXT: Dislyte: Best Relics