If you need to turn a JPG image into a PDF file, there are lots of ways to do it. One of the easiest is to upload the image(s) to a website – of which there are many – and then download a PDF to your computer.
All the methods here are free and don’t require you to download or install any software. But you can install an app if you need more control over how the images appear.
How do I convert a JPG to a PDF?
If you have a laptop or PC running Windows, then you already have everything you need to do the job. That’s because Windows has a built-in “PDF printer”. This is just like it sounds, it ‘prints’ any document – including a JPG – to a PDF file.
When you click Print in an app – which could be Microsoft Word, Photoshop or any other with a print option – you’ll see the a list of printers. You can bring up this menu by pressing Ctrl + P in most apps, including web browsers.
If you have a physical printer, that should be listed. but you’ll also see one called Microsoft Print to PDF. You may have more than one PDF printer listed, especially if you’ve got Adobe Reader DC installed.
When you choose this instead of a real printer, it will save the file as a PDF on your hard drive. Here’s how you do it:
1. Open Windows File Explorer (the shortcut is Windows key + E).
2. Find the JPG file(s) you want to convert to PDF. You can select multiple files by clicking and dragging a rectangle around them, or by holding the Ctrl key on your keyboard and clicking on each one you want.
The files need to be in the same folder for this to work. Choosing multiple JPG files will create a multi-page PDF document.
3. Now right-click on any of the selected files and choose Print.
This opens up Windows’ built-in image printing wizard. Here you need to change the printer to Microsoft Print to PDF. If that’s not in the list, install Adobe Reader DC as mentioned above.
4. You can use the options available in the wizard to put multiple images on each page of the PDF, and even change the page size from A4 to another size.
5. Once you’ve set all your options click Print.
You’ll see the printing progress happening just as if the file was being printed normally but at the end a box will pop up asking where you want to save your PDF. You’ll also need to enter a file name.
Click the Save button and your PDF will be created, ready to share with anyone you like.
How to convert JPG to PDF online
There are lots of websites where you can upload your JPG files and convert them into a single PDF. Or you can create a PDF from a single image.
All the websites work in the same basic way. We’re using
JPG2PDF here. Unlike some of these websites, this one has no file size limit and won’t put a watermark on the PDFs. Other options include
1. Click the link above to go to the site and either drag and drop your JPGs or click the Upload Files button.
2. When your files are all uploaded, click the COMBINED button which should really say ‘Download’ as that’s what it does.
You’ll probably want to change the filename after it has downloaded as it defaults to jpg2pdf.pdf. It’ll be in whichever folder you’ve set in your web browser for downloads, but usually just Downloads, which you can find by opening File Explorer and clicking on Downloads in the left-hand menu.
Click once on the file name and press F2, and you can then edit its name.